Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Emmy Nominees - Comedy

I care much less about the comedies, as I've seen fewer of them. If only I didn't need sleep...

Outstanding Comedy Series
Louis
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation
Silicon Valley
Transparent
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Veep
Jane the Virgin, Broad City, It's Always Sunny, Moone Boy
I'm very excited!
This is a pretty great category! (Terrible Modern Family inclusion aside.) Inside Amy Schumer and Key & Peele are down under Variety Sketch Show. I couldn't get into Last Man on Earth, but I know a lot of people were disappointed in its exclusion.

Outstanding Variety Sketch Series
Drunk History, Comedy Central
Inside Amy Schumer, Comedy Central
Key & Peele, Comedy Central
Portlandia, IFC
Saturday Night Live, NBC

Yay Key & Peele, Inside Amy Schumer, and Portlandia!

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy
Anthony Anderson, Blackish
Louis CK, Louis
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Will Forte, The Last Man on Earth
Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
William H Macy, Shameless
Jeffrey Tambour, Transparent
Adam Scott, Parks & Rec
Joel McHale, Community
Jonathan Groff, Looking 
Om nom nom
Well, it's silly that Shameless is in comedy at all. I had to finally quit season 4 because it got too dark for me. I didn't like writing of Last Man, but I generally like Will Forte, so good for him. As the true dramedy entry (shouldn't that be a category now? It could be Shameless, Transparent, OITNB, Nurse Jackie...), I'm guessing Jeffrey Tambour has the lead here. And I like Matt LeBlanc, but... really? That said, I don't watch a ton of comedies, so I don't have a long list of snubs here. I would have liked to see Adam Scott recognized for Ben Wyatt at some point. He played a believable funny straight man, which is a hard line to toe. And while I eventually stopped watching Community, I with Joel McHale would have been recognized once for his work there. I've heard good things about Jay Baruchel in Man Seeking Woman and have been meaning to watch it.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Lisa Kudrow, The Comeback
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Amy Schumer, Inside Amy Schumer
Lily Tomlin, Grace and Frankie
Gina Rodriguez, Jane the Virgin
Aya Cash, You're the Worst 

Yay Amy Poehler! Yay Amy Schumer! Yay Lisa Kudrow and Lily Tomlin. I've yet to see veep, but go JLD. That said, Gina Rodriguez. She won the Golden Globe, for chrissake. Also, Constance Wu has been getting acclaim for Fresh Off the Boat. And, as stupid as it is for Shameless to compete as a comedy, Emmy Rossum was consistently great on it (as far as I watched). Finally, I feel like I should give a shout out to Aya Cash, who was once my roommate at summer camp.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy
Niecy Nash, Getting On
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Allison Janney, Mom
Kate McKinnon, Saturday Night Live
Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory
Gaby Hoffmann, Transparent
Jane Krakowski, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Anna Chlumsky, Veep

Why does this category get 8??? That said, yay Anna Chlumsky! Yay Kate McKinnon! I'm not even mad at Mayim, because I like her. That said, if Keegan-Michael Key is up for supporting, it feels like Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer should be in here.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy
Andre Braugher, Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Adam Driver, Girls
Keegan-Michael Key, Key & Peele
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Tituss Burgess, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Tony Hale, Veep
Jordan Peele, Key & Peele
Nick Offerman, Parks & Rec

Key without Peele, really? Again with the Shameless: I've heard Cameron Monaghan and Noel Fisher did their best work this season, and Jeremy Allen White was always my favorite on the show. And I know a lot of people thought that other members of the Veep and Silicon Valley casts were snubs.

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series
Mel Brooks, The Comedians
Paul Giamatti, Inside Amy Schumer
Bill Hader, Saturday Night Live
Louis C.K., Saturday Night Live
Bradley Whitford, Transparent
Jon Hamm, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Josh Charles, Inside Amy Schumer
John Hawkes, Inside Amy Schumer 

I'm surprised the Comedians was canceled - I heard good things. I also heard mixed things about Jon Hamm on Kimmy Schmidt. Yay everyone else. But Josh Charles and John Hawkes were also brilliant on Inside Amy Schumer.

Fun with the ballot: I enjoyed Werner Herzog on Parks & Rec.

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
Christine Baranski, The Big Bang Theory
Gaby Hoffmann, Girls
Pamela Adlon, Louie
Elizabeth Banks, Modern Family
Joan Cusack, Shameless
Tina Fey, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Kathryn Hahn, Parks & Rec

Sure? I will say I always liked Kathryn Hahn on Parks & Rec.

Outstanding Directing of a Comedy Series
The Last Man on Earth, “Alive in Tucson”
Louie, “Sleepover”
Silicon Valley, “Sand Hill Shuffle”
Transparent, “Best New Girl”
Veep, “Testimony”

It's Always Sunny, "Charlie Work"

IT IS CRIMINAL THAT CHARLIE WORK IS NOT NOMINATED.

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series
Episodes, “Episode 409″
The Last Man on Earth, “Alive in Tucson”
Louie, “Bobby’s House”
Silicon Valley, “Two Days of the Condor”
Transparent, “Pilot”
Veep, “Election Night”
Broad City, Knockoffs

It is boring that the same 5 shows are up for directing and writing. As I mentioned, I'm not a fan of the writing for Last Man on Earth, but the pilot was the best of the episodes I saw, so good on Will Forte there. But... Parks and Rec? Jane the Virgin? Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which got so many other nods? Girls? Hell, I even heard New Girl rebounded this year.

No comments: