So in 2018, I made mostly the same goals again this year. I fell a little bit into the trap of 'once I find the perfect organizer/planner, I will be organized,' but I've mostly remained on track, albeit sometimes at a slow pace, or trying again on something midway through the year.
Then recently I read about the idea of a 101/1,001 list. The idea behind it is to set a list of 101 specific, measurable tasks that can be accomplished in 1,001 days (not quite 3 years). In that way, you can be a little more concrete about action items ('I will take a baking class', or 'I will meditate for 10 minutes a day for one week', rather than 'start baking/meditating'.) Plus it gives you a time frame to try to tackle some bigger bucket list-type items, without that nebulous bucket list thinking of, 'someday I will go to Japan...'
This also meant transcribing an old bucket list, as I considered which items to put on the 101 list for the next 3 years, versus what should just stay as a "bucket list item"*. The really fun thing about this exercise** was recognizing how many bucket list items I'd crossed off since making the list in 2013. Even though it can feel like there's such a big world out there still to see (my bucket list is like half travel), it's nice to take a look back and see all the fun I've been having in the last five years:
- I've been to the Santa Rosa Plateau, Santa Cruz Island, Coachella preserve, Carrizo Plain, and Elkhorn Slough
- I've been to Montana (also, what?)
- I've spent a week in NYC just seeing broadway shows
- I've been to Borneo!
- I've visited 22 new national parks (or revisited as an adult)
- I've started volunteering again
- I've gone camping in the redwoods again
- I've organized my playbill collection (although I am DEFINITELY MISSING a couple of RENT playbills. Sniffles.)
- I've attended a highland games! Hey! Recent cross-off.
- I've attended a masquerade ball
- I've been to Alcatraz!
- I've attended the Gorey ball
- I've visited the Top of the Mark and the Tonga room
- I've been to Mister Jiu's and State Bird
- I've done the tactile dome at the exploratorium
- I've tried Humphrey Slocombe (overrated, but Salt and Straw is not)
- I've done a tarantula walk on Mt. Diablo
- I've gone whale watching in the bay area
- I've continued attending Outside Lands (also a weird item, 2013-me.)
- I've been to Calshakes
- I've purchased season tickets to the Opera and Berkeley Rep
- I've been to the DNA lounge
- I've had a drink at the Edinburgh castle
- I've been to the new Alamo drafthouse! (So many times. So many, many expensive times.)
- I've attended a movie in the park!
- I've attended the Oregon shakespeare festival again
- I've tried Zombies Run!