Thursday, December 9, 2010

2010 Holiday mixes

A few notes on these:
- Usually I try to ensure that the majority of the songs on my holiday mixes come from the year they were made (or the very end of the year before). I didn't for 2010. I ended up listening to a lot of stuff this year that I hadn't discovered before. So I figure that maybe other people haven't discovered some of these either.
-After last year's rock-centric mixes, I went for a lot more dancy music this year.
-There's a running theme in these. 10 points to whoever gets it. ;)


Disc 1
Zero - Yeah Yeah Yeahs Aaaaah - I love this song SO MUCH. I've listened to it practically non-stop all year.
Lovesick Teenagers - Bear in Heaven
Satellite Mind - Metric My favorite new band. Their whole album is fabulous. Check it out.
Lonely for a Lifetime - Dana Fuchs I know. I put one of her songs on last year. But this one is awesome, too.
Percussion Gun - White Rabbits (thanks, Lindsay!)
Underdog - Kasabian
Bloodbuzz Ohio - The National I think this song is perfect.
Pretty Horses - Shirley Manson Another unreleased demo. Unfinished, but gorgeous.
Ill Lit Ships - Blaqk Audio I have no idea if this will be on the forthcoming album, but it leaked (?) earlier in the year
The Mission (M is for Milla Mix) - Puscifer
Glitter Freeze ft. Mark E. Smith - Gorillaz
F**k You - Cee Lo Green
Save Me San Francisco - Train
Kick Ass - Mika I totally understand if Mika isn't your thing, but it makes me happy.
Boom Swagger Boom - Murder City Devils (thanks, Allie!)
Write About Love ft. Carey Mulligan - Belle and Sebastian
Cold War - Janelle Monae So fabulous. The video for this is amazing, too.
Love the Way You Lie ft. Rihanna - Eminem I fall into the 'loving the video' camp for this one, too.
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica & the San Francisco Symphony SO GOOD. I haven't been able to stop listening to this one for months, either.
Jack the Ripper - AFI A Morrisey cover that I (somehow, surprisingly) never heard until this year.
Don't Stop Believing (Giants 2010) - Ashkon WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Am I over the Giants winning the World Series? Nope, not yet. Probably not ever.
Foxglove - Murder by Death I adore the cellos in this.
Lights - Journey What?


Disc 2 (Electric Boogaloo)
The leftovers.
Still tasty.
The Station - Richie Cunning I love his whole album. It's well worth checking out.
Black & Orange - Bailey Hey? Guess what? The Giants won the World Series! (And the Padres traded Adrian Gonzalez. SUCK IT, PADRES!)
Stupid Girls, Holla if You Hear Me - Garbage vs. 2Pac This is wonderful and makes me really happy.
Only Girl (In the World) - Rihanna
Raise Your Glass - Pink
Feel it in My Bones ft. Tegan and Sara - Tiesto This one got stuck in my brain for, oh, about all of April.
Indestructible - Robyn I've listened to Dancing on My Own more this year, but I'm really into this one right now, and it's more upbeat.
Androgyny (Lee Hermaphrodite Mix) - Garbage This one is not new - I've loved this mix for years, but I could only ever find it as a video on youtube. Anyways, I finally managed to find an MP3 this year, which made me extremely happy.
Acapella (Guetta Extended Mix) - Kelis Awww.... how romantic is this song?
Sex and Violence - Scissor Sisters (I really enjoy the juxtaposition of this one next to Kelis)
Dance the Way I Feel - Ou Est le Swimming Pool
Bay Area Slang Top 100 (The Grinch song) - Rafael Casal This song makes me laugh. Watch the video for the translations.
Don't Make Me Wait - Locksley (thanks, Emily!)
Paris (Ooh La La) - Grace Potter & the Nocturnals
The Boxer - The Gaslight Anthem
Yeah Yeah Yeah - New Politics
Lust for Life - Girls
Laredo - Band of Horses
The Strums - The Dodos (thanks, Chris!)
It's Working - MGMT
100,000 Fireflies - The Magnetic Fields
Never Forget You - The Noisettes
Addicted to Love - Florence & the Machine
The King and All of His Men - Wolf Gang
Rulers, Ruling All Things - Midlake
Babelonia - School of Seven Bells Lindsay also introduced me to this band. Good stuff.
Evelyn, Evelyn - Evelyn Evelyn I saw Evelyn Evelyn perform back in April and they were awesome. I can say that hands down it was one of the most fun shows I've been to. I'm posting their biography below, because they are remarkable. (You can also check out this other great song here. I think that's the back of my head on the bottom left.)
Hand Covers Bruise - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (The Social Network soundtrack). This is one of the first soundtracks I've downloaded in a while, but I really, really like it. Also - if you haven't seen the film, you really, really should.


The Evelyn Evelyn Biography:
"LYN and EVA NEVILLE are a songwriting duo performing original compositions on piano, ukulele, guitar and accordion. The sisters are parapagus tripus dibrachius twins, sharing three legs, two arms, three lungs, two hearts and a single liver.

Born September 11, 1985 on a small farm on the Kansas-Colorado border, the Evelyns have traveled the greater part of North America performing with “Dillard & Fullerton’s Illusive Traveling Show”.

Their unique musical style is inspired by their many eclectic influences - from 80's music to showtunes, Joy Division to the Andrews Sisters.

The sisters currently reside in Walla Walla, Washington. They are fluent in chicken and their favorite colors are purple and yellow."

1 comment:

Chris said...

You're welcome! (If you meant me)