Thursday, December 1, 2011

NBR

Oh, National Board of Review. How COULD you?

Hugo wins best picture, director from NBR

I, clearly, am not a fan. I really, really disliked Hugo, and I'm not alone in that. (it was overly long and self indulgent. It could have been much, much better.)

Ah, well - let's look at the top 10 films:
The Artist
The Descendants
Drive
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
The Ides of March
J. Edgar
The Tree of Life
War Horse

Interesting.... BEYOND thrilled with Drive's inclusion. Surprised by the Ides of March - I'll have to catch that toot sweet. Happy with Tree of Life, Harry Potter, the Artist, and... of course... Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. :) War Horse's inclusion bodes well. I (and I know I'll be attacked for this) did not like Saving Private Ryan. So I'm approaching War Horse with some apprehension.

And the Top 10 Independent Films:
50/50
Another Earth
Beginners
A Better Life
Cedar Rapids
Margin Call
Shame
Take Shelter
We Need To Talk About Kevin
Win Win

Another Earth!!!! YAAAAAAAY! (Shame! Yay! 50/50! Yay! Take Shelter! yay!) (Also - Cedar Rapids - are you kidding me?) Also, between Margin Call's ensemble win at the Gothams and this, I may need to check it out. Maybe Zachary Quinto's presence will help tide me over till the next American Horror Story.

A few other awards worth noting:
Best Actress: Tilda Swinton, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Best Original Screenplay: Will Reiser, 50/50
Best Animated Feature: Rango
Breakthrough Performance: Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Spotlight Award: Michael Fassbender (A Dangerous Method, Jane Eyre, Shame, X-Men: First Class)
NBR Freedom of Expression: Pariah
Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation

No comments: