Friday, February 5, 2010

Box Office

I used to play a box office prediction game at EW.com, which I absolutely loved. You had to predict the top 10 films of the weekend, in order. It was awesome, I loved it, I was quite frequently in the top 10 for a weekend or the top 25 or 50 for a season. So of course they took it away.

I mourned, I moved on, I occasionally played in Cinematical's version of the top 5 to keep some of my skills sharp.

Then Flick Picks started up. I'm not sold on it. Basically, you run a theater and get points based on the revenues from your seven screens. I've been told it's a similar approach to fantasy football. Anyways, aside from the fact that if I actually were to run a movie theater, it would have cushy couches and armchairs, beer, pizza, and an art house repertoire, you basically are trying to guess the top 5 films, broken into 1-2 and 3-5. It's not as difficult. The scoring results aren't well laid-out. And the whole thing is not very intuitive to me.

But I would like to point out that my theater, the Carnivale, is ranked 45th in my division. That is all.

No comments: