Sunday, April 15, 2012

Summer movies

Yay! The Entertainment Weekly Summer Movie preview is here! This might be my favorite magazine all year. Either this one or the winter preview (mmm.... oscar bait...)

Here is what I'm either excited for or looks otherwise interesting:
May 4 - The Avengers. Obviously. I love everything I've seen of Joss Whedon's and I'm very excited that they are bring Loki back as he villain.
May 11 - Dark Shadows. Johnny Depp as vampire and Eva Green as witch.  Yes, please.
May 11 - Where Do We Go Now? I've heard raves for this. It's showing at SFIFF. Its about women in a town in Lebanon try to avert their husbands' religious strife.
May 18 - Hysteria. I've heard mixed reviews, but I'll be checking it out at the Film Fest. It could be cute.
May 25 - Moonrise Kingdom. I like Wes Anderson. I like Edward Norton. Should be good.

May skips: Men in Black 3. Despite Josh Brolin's Tommy Lee Jones impression, and Jemaine Clement's inclusion, this had too many tales of script woe in development. Battleship. Chernobyl Diaries. What to Expect When You're Expecting (whygodwhy). The Dictator. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. First Position. A Little Bit of Heaven. The Perfect Family. #Regeneration. Girl in Progress. Hick. Tonight You're Mine. Lovely Molly. Polisse. The Samaritan. Virginia. Hide Away. The Intouchables. Mighty Fine.



June 1 - Snow White and the Huntsman. I don't tend to like Kristen Stewart, but this looks like it could be really fantastic. I like Charlize Theron and the visuals look amazing.
June 8 - Prometheus. EEEEeeeeeee! Alien prequel! Noomi Rapace! Michael Fassbender! More Charlize Theron!
June 8 - Safety Not Guaranteed. This got great buzz at SXSW. It looks like Aubrey Plaza gets more range than she does on Parks & Rec. Based on a weird classified meme.
June 22 - Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I am stupidly excited for this. Benjamin Walker (Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson), Anthony Mackie, Alan Tudyk, Dominic Cooper, Rufus Sewell, Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Directed by Timur Bekmambetov. Produced by Tim Burton. Yes to all of this.
June 27 - Beasts of the Southern Wild. Huge Sundance hit.I have no idea what it is about, but it is supposed to be awesome.
June 29 - Magic Mike. What? Joe Manganiello.

June maybes: Brave. Rock of Ages. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Lola Versus. Peace Love & Misunderstanding. 
June skips: That's My Boy. People Like Us. Madagascar 3. To Rome with Love. Your Sister's Sister (I'm guessing this is too mumblecore for me). GI Joe Retaliation. Battlefield America. High School. Piranha 3DD. Bel Ami. Marina Abramovic the Artist is Present. The Tortured. The Woman in the Fifth. Neil Young Journeys. Take This Waltz.

July 3: The Amazing Spider-Man. Yes. Yes yes yes.
July 13: Farewell, My Queen. Closing night at the Boston film fest and opening night at SFIFF. French court drama. Yay!
July 13: Red Lights. I've heard the third act is nigh-incomprehensible. But, you know, Cillian Murphy.
July 20: The Dark Knight Rises. I'm worried. I could not understand Bane in the extended preview. But Christopher Nolan has yet to disappoint me...

July maybes: Savages. Neighborhood Watch (hey Richard Ayoade!). Easy Money. Killer Joe.
July skips: Ice Age whatever. Queen of Versailles. Ruby Sparks. Katy Perry. The Do-Deca-Pentathalon. The Magic of Belle Isle. Trishna. Union Square. The Well-Digger's Daughter. Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry. Searching for Sugar Man. Step Up whichever.

August 3 - The Bourne Legacy. I like Jeremy Renner. And MI4 didn't seem to set him up to take over the franchise, so I suppose I'm okay with him taking over here. Plus it has Rachel Weisz, Edward Norton, and Joan Allen. I like them. It's being directed by Tony Gilroy who wrote the original trilogy and directed Michael Clayton, so it should be in good hands.
August 3 - Total Recall. I liked the trailer. It looks like the visuals may have caught up to the story.
August 17 - Paranorman. I enjoy Laika animation (Coraline, Nightmare Before Christmas)
August 17 - Chicken with Plums. The new film from Marjanne Satrapi (Persepolis).
August 24 - The Loneliest Planet. A Young couple on a backpacking trip. With Gael Garcia Bernal.
August 31 - Lawless. Previously called The Wettest County in the World. A little confusing because one of Terrence Malick's new films is Lawless (2013). It's directed by John Hillcoat. I intensely dislike Shia LaBeouf. But the rest of the cast - Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Mia Wasikowska, Guy Pearce, Jessica Chastain - probably outweighs LaBoeuf.

August maybes: Celeste and Jesse Forever. Premium Rush. 7500.
August skips: Hope Springs. Sparkle. Diary of a Wimpy Kid. The Campaign. The Expendables 2. The Odd Life of Timothy Green. 360. Little Birds. 2 Days in New York. The Awakening. The Apparition. Hit and Run. Little White Lies. The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure. The Good Doctor. The Possesion. The Baytown Disco. Compliance.

No comments: