Sunday, September 9, 2012

Movies guaranteed to make you cry

There are plenty of downbeat films or heartbreaking moments in movies that don't necessarily elicit tears. But then there are those that tug at your heartstrings till you're burrowing through your bag in the the theater, searching for kleenex and stifling sobs. (Or not so stifled. Rock on with your bad self, lady behind us at Beasts of the Southern Wild.)

Have not seen: Gallipoli, Rudy, Hachi, Beaches, Boys Don't Cry, Grave of the Fireflies, Hotel Rwanda... and some that people always cite don't get me personally (I love Braveheart, but it doesn't make me cry. Ditto The Green Mile. I do not love the Notebook and did not cry at it.)

First up:
The Wind that Shakes the Barley 

50/50
(Spoilers, obviously. Although it doesn't have the scene with Angelica Houston where I lost it:)



Harry Potter - Deathly Hallows pt. 1

Rent.
I can't. I have never seen Angel's death and not bawled, no matter which version.



Tragic romance:
Never Let Me Go


Shakespeare in Love
(crying now in high def!)

Moulin Rouge

Last of the Mohicans

Brokeback Mountain

Titanic

Atonement

Little Women (Laurie's proposal. Gah.)


The Constant Gardener


I don't think it would still make me cry, but the Baz Luhrmann Romeo and Juliet, where Juliet wakes up as Romeo dies. So much worse than in the play.
(shhhh. It'll be okay.

 or not.)

Traumatizing childhood films:
Neverending Story. (Artax!)


Land Before Time.


Dumbo (the mom-in-cage bit.)

Watership Down. I will never un-see those rabbits. And because of that, here is Bunnicula instead:

I don't remember what happens in the end of The Fox and the Hound, but I remember being deeply upset.

Charlotte's web

Bambi. Obvs.

Homeward Bound. Pretty sure I cried when Shadow limped in (animals, man. What can I say?)

Spoiler territory: (scrollover text)
Serenity
The Professional
In the Bedroom
Dead Poet's Society
Pan's Labyrinth

I also liked this comment on the lemondrop: Meredith Rodkey, contributor: "There's a very, very subtle moment in 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' that makes me cry if I so much as think about it -- it's when Jim Carrey first goes to the office to have his memories erased. There's another man in the waiting room who's holding a dog's collar. I completely empathize with the idea of being so brokenhearted over a pet's death that you'd want to have the memories erased -- it kills me. KILLS me. And now I'm sitting here at my desk crying because I let myself think about it."

No comments: