Thursday, December 25, 2014

2014 mixes - Mix 1

I didn't listen to a lot of new music this year, so I'm mixing in my Outside Lands songs with the things I did listen to this year. Videos embedded where they exist. Links to the songs without videos. 2010 lives here, 2011 here, here and here, 2012, and 2013. Only just realizing that 2008 and 2009 never got their own posts. Whoops!

[Ed: Fixed now! 2008 and 2009.]

1. Lana Del Rey - Cruel World

2. Ruby Friedman Orchestra - You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive. Justified closes out each season with a rendition of this song. This is my favorite so far. (What do we think Boyd's chances are of making it out of the final season alive?)

3. Brody Dalle - Meet the Foetus/Oh the Joy ft. Shirley Manson. These fucking women. I like the first half of the song, but I am obsessed with Oh the Joy when Shirley joins in.


4. Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream. Outside Lands. Tom Petty was awesome. He played all the hits and it was wonderful. (Did not realize there was a Little Nemo video for this song.)


5. White Denim - At Night in Dreams


6. Queens of the Stone Age - I Sat by the Ocean. Speaking of Mr. Brody Dalle... I saw them play the Bill Graham in April and it was easily one of the best concerts I've been to. They were absolutely amazing.

7. TV on the Radio - Satellite

8. Alt-J - Left Hand Free


9. Spoon - I Turn My Camera On. Outside Lands. So I ended up closing out Sunday at OL by managing to be in the front row for Spoon, The Flaming Lips, and The Killers. It was AMAZING. Spoon was fab. (There is a video for this song, but I can't find a high quality version.)



10. Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent. Outside Lands. The first night at OL, I split my time between the Arctic Monkeys and Kanye. This was in part because I've never really gotten into the Arctic Monkeys the way I think I should (they seem like a band I would enjoy) and partly because it turned out that they have the world's most obnoxious fans. So it was hard to watch and get into the show. But I do like this song:


11. The Kills - Future Starts Slow. So I've gotten into Person of Interest recently and they closed out one of the best episodes in the series with this song. I started watching because all the LOST 10 year coverage made me miss Michael Emerson and I had had several recommendations for it. While it took me a little while to get used to Jim Caviezel's flat affect, the show is enjoyably cyberpunk and dystopian and ends up introducing several of the best female characters on tv. Also, while it starts out as a somewhat straight forward procedural, as it goes on, it becomes much more complex, interesting, befitting of a Nolan's influence, and asking really interesting questions about technology (much like Dollhouse, come to think of it).


12. Tegan and Sara - The Con. Outside Lands. They were really fun live.


13. Lorde - Yellow Flicker Beat


14. Bastille - (I Just) Died in Your Arms

15. Mike Doughty - I Hear the Bells. You guys, how cute was the Veronica Mars movie? Anyways, it made me think of this scene and song;

(It's okay! They get together in 10 years!)

16. Dum Dum Girls - There is a Light That Never Goes Out. Outside Lands

17. HAIM - The Wire. I haven't really gotten into HAIM, but they were surprisingly awesome live. Plus they stood next to me for Tom Petty.


18. Sia - Chandelier. (I'd like to point out that Sia putting crazy shit on her head made these mixes way back in 2009.)


19. DOLL$BOXX - Take My Chance. Here. Have some Japanese pop/metal.


20. Atmosphere - Shoulda Known. Outside Lands.


21. Spinnerette - Baptized By Fire


22. Broods - Sleep Baby Sleep

23. Queens of the Stone Age - If I Had a Tail


24. Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper. I don't know if it was because we had a more cowbell joke at work, but this got stuck in me head for a bunch of the fall.

25. The Killers - Jenny Was a Friend of Mine. AAAAAHHHHH. One of my all-time favorite songs and the Killers played it in their encore and the supermoon was out I was in the front row and tens of thousands of people were dancing along and it was EVERYTHING.

No comments: