Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Best party scenes in movies

So I finally got around to seeing Gatsby, which I thought was surprisingly good. Leo was really perfect in it. Unfortunately, Tobey Maguire tends to set my teeth on edge, so his being the lead worked less well for me. Also, the audio dubbing was TERRIBLE. But the party scenes were awesome. And, let's be honest, Baz Luhrmann knows how to shoot a party:



So I thought I'd come up a few other movie party scenes of note:

General - Fellowship of the Ring, Boogie Nights, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (I can't find the clip I want, but here's another party), Dirty Dancing, Empire Records, Spring Breakers (probably NSFW), Velvet Goldmine. The best go to: Almost Famous and Rocky Horror.

School Parties - Clueless (best clip I could find), Sixteen Candles, Can't Hardly Wait, 10 Things I Hate About You, Rules of Attraction, Kaboom (can't find a clip), Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion. And the winner is:

Animal House. Obviously. 

Halloween parties - Trick 'r Treat (NSFW), Legally Blonde, Scream

Dance/Bar/Club scenes - Night at the Roxbury, Black Swan, Babel, and then Queer as Folk gets an honorable mention, because goddamn. Was there a theme party too extravagant for Babylon? There was not. (I'd hope it would be self-evident but that link is probably NSFW.)
Best one:

Groove

Masquerades - Phantom of the Opera, Sweeney Todd, the Man in the Iron Mask, Casanova (no clip), The Dark Knight Rises, Snow White

Labyrinth

Balls/aristocratic shindigs - Ah yes. The best part of any Jane Austen type period piece. Napoleon (a good chunk of the third quarter is a party), Marie Antoinette, Shakespeare in Love, A Royal Affair, Young Victoria, Emma, Pride and Prejudice, Becoming Jane, really the entire Jane Austen cannon, Elizabeth, Romeo and Juliet (ignore the dubbed ballet music), Anna Karenina, The Duchess (music only), and getting back into the swing of Gatsby:

Bright Young Things

New Years - 200 Cigarettes, When Harry Met Sally, Sunset Boulevard (wait... make that worst party. Same for the Gold Rush.) An American in Paris wins (non-embeddable)


And we won't get into dinner parties, as that usually goes in a whole other direction.

What am I missing? Party Monster? 24 Hour Party People? Mean Girls? Wedding reception scenes?

No comments: