Saturday, June 15, 2013

Song of Summer

Was the Song of Summer always a thing?

I'm not sure. It feels like a 2000s pop phenomenon. Sure, there has always been a top selling song for the summer, but that holds true for every season. Then again, I usually only listen to some truly terrible/awesome (terrisome?) pop songs in the summer.

Anyways, I usually do not listen much to whatever the top song is, but I thought I'd look back at what my summer songs were for the last 10 years:

2012
Lana Del Rey - National Anthem
Jay-Z and Kanye - No Church in the Wild
Wiley - Heatwave
Icona Pop - I Love It
Winner: Jack White - Freedom at 21


2011
Deadmau5 - I Can't Behave Myself (ft. Neon Hitch)
Lady GaGa - Heavy Metal Lover
Ana Tijoux - 1977
David Guetta - Titanium (ft. Sia)
Handsome Furs - Repatriated
Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
Winner: Foo Fighters - Arlandria


2010
Murder City Devils - Boom Swagger Boom (just a *few* years late on this one)
Scissor Sisters - Sex and Violence
Janelle Monae - Cold War
Locksley - Don't Make Me Wait
Yolanda Be Cool and DCUP - We No Speak Americano (I know, I know)
Robyn - Dancing On My Own
Eminem - Love the Way You Lie (ft. Rihanna)
Winner: Metric - Satellite Mind


2009
Bloc Party - Womanizer vs. Mercury
Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
Lily Allen - Everyone's At It
Sia - Buttons
A plus D - Stardust Kids (David Bowie vs. MGMT)
Muse - Uprising
Winner: Gossip - Heavy Cross


2008
British Sea Power - No Lucifer 
The Ting Tings - That's Not My Name
Cyndi Lauper - Into the Nightlife
Flobots - Handlebars
Atmosphere - Shoulda Known
Winner: Gnarls Barkley - Going On


2007 (which was winter for me, as I was living in the Southern Hemisphere...)
AFI - Kiss and Control
Linkin Park - Bleed It Out
Garbage - Tell Me Where it Hurts
Tori Amos - Bouncing Off Clouds
Kate Miller-Heidke - Words
Foo Fighters - Pretender
Nine Inch Nails - Capital G
Winner: Blaqk Audio - Again Again, Again


2006
Franz Ferdinand - The Fallen
Daphne Rubin-Vega - Rocket Man (Dezrock Club Mix)
Joan Jett - AC/DC
RHCP - Snow (Hey Oh)
Pink - Who Knew
Oakenfold - Faster Kill Pussycat (ft. Brittany Murphy)
The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes
Christina Aguilera - Ain't No Other Man
Winner: AFI - Miss Murder


2005
Missy Elliott - Lose Control
Shakira - La Tortura
Amerie - 1 Thing
Foo Fighters - Best of You
Winner: Green Day - Holiday


2004
Usher - Yeah
Blink 182 - I Miss You
Modest Mouse - Float On
Winner: Jet - Cold Hard Bitch


2003
Beyonce - Crazy in Love
AFI - Girl's Not Grey
The Dandy Warhols - We Used to be Friends
White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
Winner: QOTSA - Go With The Flow

No comments: