Saturday, October 1, 2011

It's Halloween! It's Halloween!

Well, almost. October is just about my favorite month of the year. I love the fall and halloween is my favorite holiday. Which leads to me to two topics relevant to this blog.

The first is the silver lining that comes out of the Giants not being in the playoffs. While I spent last October watching games (and I would have preferred to do that again this year), the small consolation is that I'm free to bump all the horror films and thrillers to the top of my queue and indulge this month. Remember the Halloween challenge? Let's go ahead and resurrect that.

The second is a new mix! In addition to putting my Halloween mix back on my iPhone, I added a new one this year. I have a playlist called, "If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him" which is all murder ballads. (The title is a quote from an abused woman who was heard saying, "If I'd killed him when I met him, I'd be out of jail now." It's also the title to a Sharyn McCrumb book.) Anyways, this new playlist is the best of those that also display lyrical dissonance. Enjoy! Happy Spooky Month!

1. I Can't Decide - Scissor Sisters
2. Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People
3. Becky - Be Your Own Pet
4. Kinda Outta Luck - Lana Del Rey
5. Goodbye Earl - Dixie Chicks
6. Gun Powder and Lead - Miranda Lambert
7. Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
8. Wrong 'Em Boyo - The Clash
9. Stagger Lee - Wilson Pickett
10. Maxwell's Silver Hammer - The Beatles
11. Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
12. Hand of Fate - The Rolling Stones
13. You Only Want Me 'Cause You Want My Sister - Evelyn Evelyn
14. Knoxville Girl - Louvin Brothers
15. The Banks of the Ohio - Charley Pride
16. Cocaine Blues - Johnny Cash
17. Caleb Meyer - Gillian Welch
18. Stack Shot Billy - The Black Keys
19. Jenny Was a Friend of Mine - The Killers
20. The Rake's Song - The Decemberists
21. The Curse of Millhaven - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
22. I Used To Love Her (But I Had To Kill Her) - Guns and Roses
23. I've Committed Murder - Macy Gray
24. Excitable Boy - Warren Zevon
25. Cell Block Tango - Chicago
26. The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun - Julie Brown
27. A Little Priest - Sweeney Todd
28. I Don't Like Mondays - Tori Amos
29. Miss Otis Regrets - Ella Fitzgerald

(Okay - so the Jenny Was a Friend of Mine/Rake's Song/Curse of Millhaven section is a little minor-key/murdery, but I like them, so whatever. And Nick Cave has to been on any mix with murder ballads... Also, there are still a few songs that I'm searching for to add to this list, including Irish Ballad - Tom LeherI Kept Her Heart - The Pine Box Boys, Ballad of Booth - Assassins (god love Sondheim), I'm Sorry - Margaret Cho)

No comments: