Friday, January 8, 2016

2015 Mixes!

I've been futzing with these for weeks. They aren't my best mixes (in terms of ordering), but it's January. They need to go up now, so that I can move on to new songs!

[2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014]

Disc 1
1. Garbage - Supervixen. It's been 20 years! 20 YEARS. And Garbage did an awesome tour this year where they played their debut in full, plus the B-sides. (And Paranoid for an encore). This is really the best opening song of all time, so it opens.
2. Muse - Psycho.
3. Rihanna - Bitch Better Have My Money (Diplo & Grandtheft Remix). So it turns out RiRi is a fannibal (very NSFW).
4. Santigold - Radio.
5. The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face. It took me a really long time to get on board with song - it was just so different from The Birds Part 1 and Wicked Games and the other songs I was used to. But then I learned to love it. Also, if anything from the 50 Shades soundtrack is up for an Oscar, it better be the Weeknd and not Ellie Goulding.
6. Royksopp ft. Robyn - Monument (The Inevitable End Version). Okay - I technically first listened to this song on 12/28/14, but therefore it wasn't on the mixes last year...
7. Alessia Cara - Wild Things.
8. Ms. Lauryn Hill - Feeling Good (Nina Simone cover). Lauryn did 6 of the songs on the album "Nina Revisited", which came out alongside the documentary "What Happened, Miss Simone?"
9. John Grant ft. Amanda Palmer - You and Him.
10. Meg Myers - Lemon Eyes.
11. Florence + the Machine - Delilah. I love this so much.
12. Okkervil River - Down Down the Deep River. My stylist introduced me to Okkervil River this year, as they are her favorite band (I had heard *of* them, but I hadn't listened to them.) This was the one that really caught on with me.
13. FKA Twigs - In Time. I love her whole M3LL155X EP. There's an astounding short film for 4/5ths of the album, too.
14. Future - Blow a Bag.
15. Erykah Badu - Phone Down.
16. Hozier - Take Me to Church. Years are long things.
17. Sharon Van Etten - Your Love is Killing Me.
18. Santino Fontana (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) - What'll It Be? (Have you guys seen Crazy Ex-Girlfriend? It's totally delightful, and I'm very glad Rachel Bloom is up for a Golden Globe and CCA. She gave a great interview with Vulture in which she discussed her admiration of Kander & Ebb. A woman after my own heart.)
19. Leslie Odom, Jr. (Hamilton) - Wait For It. Quite possibly the best musical song from the last 20 years. (Watch the other cast members listening to him record.) Also, I may be utterly obsessed with Hamilton.

Disc 2 - The Bonnie & Clyde Mix. A word of explanation - while I quite often make theme mixes throughout the year - this one ended up with so much new-to-me music, and I listened to it so often, I thought it deserved a spot. Basically, I really loved the song Criminals off the new MS MR album, and it reminded me that I had been meaning to do a Bonnie & Clyde themed mix for a while - and this is (some) of the result:
1. Kyla La Grange - Vampire Smile
2. MS MR - Criminals
3. Ludo - All the Stars in Texas
4. Gill Landry - Never Coming Here Again
5. Better than Ezra - A Southern Thing
6. Royal Blood - Blood Hands
7. Lana Del Rey - Queen of Disaster
8. Bitter:Sweet - Dirty Laundry
9. Laurel - Fire Breather
10. Martina Sorbara - Bonnie and Clyde II
11. Daughter - Run
12. Bree Sharp - The Ballad of Grim & Lily
13. Fleet Foxes - Your Protector
14. Plain White T's - Killer
15. Shovels & Rope - Boxcar
16. Kill It Kid - Run
17. Soap & Skin - Me and the Devil
18. Nina Simone - Sinnerman (Hey! Let's all watch the end of the Thomas Crown Affair)

Disc 3
1. Florence + the Machine - What Kind of Man.
2. Meg Myers - Go.
3. White Lung - Down It Goes.
4. Charli XCX - Allergic to Love (Snuffed by the Yakuza cover).
5. Slutever - White Flag.
6. Mitski - Townie.
7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Down Boy.
8. Sleep Machine - Wild for You.
9. Laura Marling - I Feel Your Love.
10. Adele - Hello.
11. MXMS - Rx.
12. Hayley Richmann - Heart Shaped Box (cover of Lana Del Rey's cover of Nirvana).
13. Alessia Cara - Here.
14. Bibi Bourelly - Ego.
15. Léon - Tired of Talking.
16. Wolf Alice - Freazy.
17. The Do - Trustful Hands.
18. Natalie Prass - Sound of Silence.
19. Alex Winston - Careless.
20. Regina Spektor - Us.
21. Idina Menzel - No Day but Today. She does a similar version in Barefoot at the Symphony, but I like this one better.
22. Florence + the Machine - How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful.

Disc 4
1. The Tallis Scholars - William Byrd Mass for 4 Voices - 1. Kyrie. Hey! A new (to me) classical piece short enough to fit on a mix.
2. SFIFF58 Trailer. I have no idea what this is. All my music spotting software has failed me. But unlike most film fest trailers, which I absolutely loathe by the third day, I just loved this one more and more.
[EDIT: this is the one and only time I'm going to say this - but thank god for YouTube's copyright feature. This is apparently Paul Martin Pritchard - Steps to Success (b). I haven't been able to find another video with this version of Steps to Success, though, so I'm glad I uploaded this.]
3. Broken Bells - After the Disco.
4. Ratatat - Cream on Chrome.
5. Grimes ft. Blood Diamonds - Go.
6. Tame Impala - Eventually.
7. Panda Bear - Boys Latin.
8. Royskopp - I Had this Thing.
9. Hollow Wood - Oh My God.
10. Deerhunter - Living My Life.
11. Chemical Brothers - Wide Open.
12. Panic at the Disco - Hallelujah.
13. Arctic Monkeys - Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?
14. Rival Sons - Open My Eyes.
15. Garbage - Love Like Suicide.
16. Lucinda Williams - Protection. (I know, I know. It's really rare for me to include country songs. But this was the song they used to open this season of Justified which was SO GOOD, and they totally stuck the landing so hard, which is clearly nearly impossible for lots of shows to do, and I may miss it very much.) (Also, Walton Goggins is fantastic in the Hateful Eight, and you should totally go see that in 70mm.)
17. Richard Thompson - All Buttoned Up.
18. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear.
19. Siouxsie Sioux and Brian Reitzell - Love Crime. SPEAKING OF sticking the landing (*ahem* sorry not sorry); the Hannibal season finale*. The score on Hannibal is/was always fantastic; a mix of classical and Brian Reitzell's original compositions. But for the ending, when (spoiler) Will and Hannibal team up to take down the Red Dragon (Richard Armitage - thankfully up for a CCA, along with Hugh Dancy), Siouxsie Sioux teamed up with Brian for her first new music in eight years.

[You guys, Hannibal is/was SO GOOD. Can I just quote Matt Zoller Seitz's review when he named Hannibal the best show for the second year in a row? "Other series were more comprehensible, and nearly all were less gore-soaked, but none was as consistently innovative and sublime as Bryan Fuller’s take on Thomas Harris’s fiction. This visionary drama evoked German Expressionist cinema, glossy-pretentious art-house pictures like The Hunger and Zentropa, super-sexy fanfiction, and even experimental film. Long stretches surrendered to pure sensation, cutting images together in a free-associative rather than literal way. The third season of this lamentably canceled series was really two seasons: the first following Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) to Florence (the basic plot of the book Hannibal) and the second revisiting the plot of Red Dragon/Manhunter (with Richard Armitage as the terrifying yet pitiable Francis Dolarhyde). The climactic showdown between Dolarhyde, Hannibal, and the doctor’s nemesis/pupil/platonic love interest Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) was the most orgiastic display of choreography, music, lighting, and gore since the glory years of Miami Vice; Fuller might as well have reached through the screen and handed viewers a cigarette and a towel."]

(*SEASON finale, do you hear me?! sob.)

No comments: