Friday, January 6, 2017

2016 Mixes

Done!
[Past mixes: 2008200920102011201220132014, 2015]

Disc 1
1. Shearwater - Quiet Americans. This was one of the first songs I head at the start of last January and is now one of my all time favorite songs. It's so, so perfect. (There is an official video, but it is new to me, so I'd recommend just listening first and getting swept up in it.)

2. Panic! At the Disco - LA Devotee. Hi Stranger Things child!


4. Beyonce - Daddy Lessons (not shareable because Jay-Z makes bad business decisions. While I haven't really liked much of anything Beyonce has done since Destiny's Child, I really like Lemonade.)


6. Black Honey - Spinning Wheel (hey! Music video. Who knew. How very Lana. I also quite like their songs Madonna and Teenager.)


8. Mitski - Your Best American Girl (Does pointing out her inclusion on 2015 give me hipster brownie points?)

9. The Kills - Doing It To Death. I love this video like I have trouble expressing:

10. Garbage - So We Can Stay Alive. The new album is so good. I think it might be my favorite since Version 2.0. 

11. Savages - The Answer

12. Metallica - Hardwired


14. AFI - Aurelia (Awww - look at those three bay area bands in a row.)

15. The Unfortunates - Quarantine. Thank god the next musical I saw after Hamilton was The Unfortunates. It was stupendous, and has become one of my favorites. I listened to this 'album inspired by' all year, and although some of the songs are a bit different than the reworked show at A.C.T., it is still fantastic and highly recommended. (Not on youtube, but here's an Amazon link and an iTunes link.)


Disc 2

2. Saint Motel - My Type. Not a new song, but it was the closing credits to Mr. Right which, while not a good movie, is a movie written entirely around the idea of Sam Rockwell being a dancing hitman. Which clearly makes it the best movie. 
(I am not even kidding with that synopsis.)

3. The Mowgli's - San Francisco. Also not a new song, and I forget how I finally heard it this year. And then after I discovered it, the Muppets sang it in the park (at 4:50. Their cover of Home at 9:45 is also pretty great.)

4. Garbage - Empty


6. Rihanna - Consideration. "Let me cover your shit in glitter" makes me laugh every. single. time.

7. Beyonce - Formation. Clearly the video of the year.

8. Azealia Banks - The Big Big Beat. (Yes, she's a cautionary tale for what a person is like on bath salts, but.... this is the first thing I've heard from her approaching 212. And props for the self-deprecation in filming this video in a prison/courthouse.)

9. Clipping. - A Better Place. This is Daveed Diggs experimental sci-fi rap album. It's pretty amazing.

10. Watsky - An Open Letter. I love the John Adams rap. (Here's Lin doing it.)

11. DJ Shadow - Nobody Speak ft. Run the Jewels

12. Anderson .Paak - Come Down

13. Astronautalis - Running Away From God. There's a reason I see him live every year. Not only is he stupid talented, but his shows are so cathartic.

14. Disturbed - The Sound of Silence (live on Conan). This live performance is up for a Grammy. No, really.

15. Metallica - Here Comes Revenge. This is my favorite of all the videos for the album:


17. The Kills - Impossible Tracks. Hey! Video! Who knew.


19. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Go Robot


Disc 3
1. Westworld - Paint It, Black. I love a lot of the player piano covers in Westworld, but oh. I love this scene. I can't wait to see more Armistice:


2. Lindsay Mendez - The Ballad of Sara Berry I love this song so much. It's like a mash-up of The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun and the Gashlycrumb Tinies. (Here's an excellent live version.)

3. Hamilton - Congratulations Months ago, before the Mixtape, Renee Elise Goldsberry sang Congratulations at the very last Ham4Ham so I had to find a clean version. I actually like this version much better than the one on the Mixtape, despite the bare bones production.

4. The Unfortunates - Tell Me Where it Hurts. Love. (Amazon link)

5. Depeche Mode - One Caress. I have no idea how I had never heard this song before this year, but there you go.

6. Emeli Sande - Garden. Hey! Video!

7. Savages - Adore. My roommates in high school used to tease me about how often I said "adore" so this song speaks to me on a spiritual level.

8. Garbage - Even Though Our Love is Doomed. Best lyric video:

9. Bat for Lashes - In God's House


11. Laura Mvula - Overcome

12. Delta Rae - Bottom of the River Hey! Video! (Although it ends differently than the audio I have.)

13. Pokey LaFarge - Something in the Water


15. Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go. What? I liked Moana.



18. London Grammar - Wasting My Young Years. Another 'new to me' pick


Disc 4



4. Alex Newell - This Ain't Over

5. Phildel - Holes in Your Coffin

6. Beyonce - Sorry

7. Sia - The Greatest ft. Kendrick Lamar (I like her song Never Give Up from the Lion soundtrack, too)

8. Calvin Harris - This Is What You Came For ft. Rihanna

9. Disclosure - Magnets ft. Lorde

10. Garbage - Magnetized. I swear I put these songs together before thinking about their names.




14. Beyonce - 6 Inch ft. The Weeknd. The hell Beyonce.

15. Nicki Minaj - Black Barbies. We've all heard Black Beatles, yes?


17. Santigold - Chasing Shadows


19. Disasterpeace - Detroit. This was first in It Follows, and then AHS, and I went back to it after Stranger Things. 

20. London Grammar - Nightcall

No comments: