Monday, January 9, 2023

2022 Reddit television survey

Whee! Let's do an old school list review post, as I gear up for all things end of year/oscars. Reddit's tv survey came out with the favorite 100 tv shows, favorite new shows, and favorite miniseries. Here we go - bolded I've seen at least 1 season:

1. Breaking Bad. The best.
2. Better Call Saul. I desperately need to watch this. 
3. Game of Thrones. Blech. I tapped out at Sansa's rape. The showrunners so clearly didn't know what they were doing. 
4. The Wire. I had to take a break in S4 and I've still never finished it. I need to. 
5. The Office. S2 is so good. I watched it up till Michael left and a few episodes after. 
6. Community. Never finished. Not sure how I feel about the movie. I loved a lot of episodes, but the behind the scenes drama made it chaotic at times. 
7. Parks and Recreation. Love.
8. It's Always Sunny. I love it so much. 
9. Succession. I need to watch. But I watched the first episode at a particularly inopportune time. 
10. Sopranos
11. Avatar
12. Andor. Very high on my to watch list. 
13. Arrested Development. The original seasons were often brilliant. They should have left it at that.  
14. Severance. Great. Sad about the long wait till S2. 
15. Seinfeld
16. Chernobyl. Amazing. 
17. Stranger Things. Meh. S1 was fine. Never had any interest in watching more. 
18. Good Place. Love. 
19. Mr. Robot. Loved S1. S2 was a slog. I've been told 3 & 4 are great, and I want to finish it, but... I don't really remember the salient points. I need a recap. 
20. The Expanse. I've been told this is great, but it seems like such a high barrier to entry. 
21. Lost. Love
22. Ted Lasso. Love.
23. Leftovers. Need to watch. 
24. Mad Men
25, The Boys. Started this. Jack Quaid is great. I like what it's doing, and I obviously want to see Aya Cash in S2, but... I'm not finding any urgency in watching the next episode. 
26. Bojack Horseman. God this just got more and more depressing. Often great. I made it through S4. 
27. Futurama
28. Rick and Morty. Love. 
29. Band of Brothers
30. Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Love. Although I'm not sure I'll be able to rewatch it.  
31. Black Mirror. I've seen a couple of episodes and loved them, but I need to see the rest. 
32. Star Trek: TNG. Love.
33. Dark. I keep hearing good things about this. 
34. Simpsons. Obviously love. 
35. 30 Rock. Love
36. Buffy. Love. Spike is the best. 

37. Fleabag. Love love love. 
38. South Park. I think I watched through S20. 
39. Battlestar Galactica. Meh - I tried to get into this and didn't like it. 
40. House of the Dragon
41. Firefly. It's good (but it's no Farscape). 
42. Schitt's Creek. Love. 
43. Scrubs. Watched through S7. 
44. Doctor Who. Love (although I need to catch up on the most recent season.)
45. Curb Your Enthusiasm
46. Taskmaster. OBVIOUSLY love
47. Mandalorian
48. Friends. Love. 
49. Arcane. Literally never heard of this. 
50. What We Do in the Shadows. Love the film, do not like Matt Berry. Watched most of S1 and couldn't continue. 
51. Barry. Love.

52. West Wing. I tried.
53. Fargo. I've seen most of this, though I never finished S3. S4 was amazing, though. 
54. True Detective. See below. 
55. Star Trek: DS9. Weirdly only seen episodes here and there (my dad used to watch, so I'd see bits occasionally when I was home from school.)
56. Americans. Love love love. 
57. White Lotus. As below. 
58. Twin Peaks. I need to watch this. 
59. House MD. I watched through about half of S5. 
60. Veep. Love love love. 
61. X-Files. Love the X-files. I need to do a rewatch, but there's just so much of it. I have no idea how many full seasons I've seen. 6?
62. IT Crowd. Love.
63. Nathan for You. I've heard this is brilliant. 
64. Bob's Burgers. I think I've just given this up. I might watch the movie as a capstone? I heard it was good. 
65. Daredevil. Love. It flagged in S2 but finished strong. I'm not sure how I feel about the new version (I really liked Karen & Foggy!)
66. How I Met Your Mother. Euch. If it had been cancelled a couple seasons in...
67. Deadwood. Love love love. Doing a rewatch this year with my MZS bible
68. Psych
69. Atlanta. I need to watch this. 
70. Justified. Love love love. Raylan and Boyd are the best. 

71. Six Feet Under. I was watching this at the same time as the Wire, and stopped just shy of the end of S4. Really need to finish it. 
72. Mindhunter. Love love love. Still holding a ray of hope for a S3 to finish properly. Bill Tench forever
73. The Orville
74. Stargate SG-1
75. Sherlock. Meh. But I do love Andrew Scott in it. 
76. Jeopardy! Aww. This makes my heart happy. 
77. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
78. Dexter. Look - I love it. (Not all of it. Those last couple of seasons went OFF THE RAILS. But I never hated the first ending and I actually liked the miniseries wrap up.)
79. The Middle
80. Hannibal. My fave
81. Attack on Titan
82. Ozark. 
83. Haunting of Hill House. Love it.
84. Fringe. I keep feeling like I should watch this. I like Anna Torv and have always heard great things. 
85. Star Wars: Clone Wars
86. Cowboy Bebop
87. Agents of SHIELD. This is a pleasant surprise! I love it. 

88. Last Week Tonight. I had to stop watching regularly during the Trump years for my own mental health (I watch the occasional episode now), but I adore John Oliver and his cameos were my favorite part of the Horne Section tv show. 
89. New Girl. I made it halfway through S2? And did not feel the need to continue. Super great kiss, though
90. Westworld. Aww - I was kinda planning to catch up on this after watching the first 2 seasons, but now that it's been cancelled...
91. Veronica Mars. Love love love. 
92. Watchmen. Love it. 
93. Survivor. Wow - really?
94. Gravity Falls
95. Malcolm in the Middle
96. Derry Girls. Love love love. 
97. Friday Night Lights. Another one I feel like I should see. 
98. Freaks and Geeks
99. Gilmore Girls
100. Peaky Blinders. LOVED S1. Got to Tom Hardy doing another nonsense accent in S2 and stopped. But it has SO MANY of my favorite actors, I still vaguely plan to watch the rest. (But it annoyed me that as I heard the quality wasn't as good as S1 that they were all being taken away from better projects. Still - glad they're all getting paid. 

So there we go. 59/100. 

Anthologies/Miniseries (7/10)
1. Chernobyl. So good. 
2. Band of Brothers. I need to watch this.
3. Black Mirror. As above.
4. Fargo. As above.
5. True Detective. The first season is brilliant. Calling this an anthology is a stretch.
6. White Lotus. The first season was fine. I don't have any strong urge to watch S2.
7. Haunting of Hill House. Love it. 
8. Watchmen. Love it. 
9. Queen's Gambit. Love it
10. Station Eleven. I need to watch it. High on my to watch list along with Underground Railroad. 

I find it very odd that AHS, which kicked off the current anthology trend isn't on here. But then again, apparently there have a couple of recent seasons I wasn't even aware of. 

Favorite new shows - I'm just going to cherry pick a few of these. (I will be honest - there were a LOT I had never heard of. Archive 81? Paper Girls?)
1. Severance. As above
3. Andor. As above
4. The Bear. Responsible for one of the best tweets of the year:

6. Sandman. I can't. Glad a bunch of British comics got work, but between the trailer and reviews it seemed like there was too much off from what I love about the comics.
8. Our Flag Means Death. Other best tweet:
10. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Highly recommended by friends - I need to see it.
13. Moon Knight. Do I need/want to see this? I like Oscar Isaac...
14. She-Hulk: Attorney at Law. Loved this - SO much fun. Best stinger on episode 1 and the Daredevil bit was genuinely sexy.


19. Ms. Marvel. Do I need/want to see this? 
23. Dahmer. I can't decide whether to watch this or not.
27. Interview with the Vampire. This is both great so far, and I have little urgency in binging it. I think it's because it's both a clever update to make Louis black, aaand I don't find that actor very compelling. Louis and Lestat's first hookup was seriously hot tho:

29. Bad Sisters. Also VERY high on my list of to be seen.
30. Cabinet of Curiosities. I have a list of the four that are supposed to be great.
32. Black Bird. This is one of those ones that I want to watch, and given the amount of content in the world, I may never manage it. 
33. Welcome to Wrexham. My coworker keeps reminding me to watch this. I've got to get on it.
35. Under the Banner of Heaven. So good. Andrew Garfield is so good. 
39. The Afterparty. This was fine. The murder was easy to figure out, but Sam Richardson is eminently watchable. 
43. Minx. I had started this, and binged it when the news of the cancellation came through. It's fine. Ophelia Lovibond has been better in other things and I wish Jake Johnson were still in Stumptown. 

No comments: