Friday, January 13, 2023

Updated Top 100 songs

In looking through the archives for something else, I came across my top 100 songs from March, 2017. I thought it would be fun to update to see what has changed. (And, as I noted in my 2022 mixes, that Orville Peck song leapt into my top 20.)

To be clear - these are not my desert island songs (although that list could probably use a refresh), but the ones that have the most plays in my iTunes. The caveats being: the play count starts in September, 2005 (so middle school/high school/most college counts aren't in there (or there would be a LOT more RENT)), and for the first few years - ipods didn't sync play counts to iTunes. And, as you'll see below, iTunes match sometimes gets confused, and I end up with a couple duplicates (which I can't combine because I often don't realize until years after different dupes have been assigned to different playlists.) Still - here's a rough play count from the past 16 years. 

Still 17 Garbage songs, although a couple titles have swapped around. Green Day/American Idiot songs have dropped from 13 to 11 (and several Green Day songs swapped for American Idiot ones) and AFI/Blaqk Audio dropped from 13 to 10. 

Gained 2:
Tori Amos
Last of the Mohicans soundtrack

Dropped 1:
Amanda Palmer 
Kaiser Chiefs 
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson 
Gaga
Metric
iio
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Muse

Gained 1:
Poe 
QotSA 
Bear McCreary
Fiona Apple
Florence + the Machine
Hozier
Orville Peck
Stoker soundtrack
Handmaiden soundtrack

Still a little surprised Hole and Cranberries are missing (but mostly because iTunes doesn't have pre-2005 counts). Not surprised a few more soundtrack songs are on, since I often put on my movie score playlist when I'm working. 

The final song (Boulevard - American Idiot Cast) has 209 iTunes plays. And at some point (recently! And I did not catch it/that is not what prompted this post) the most listened to song - the Kiss from the Last of the Mohicans soundtrack - hit 1,000 listens and now stands at 1,008. (The next closest is I Think I'm Paranoid at 522.)

The full list (both lists, new; dropped since 2017):
A.F.I.   Jack the Ripper
A.F.I.   Torch Song
A.F.I.   Beautiful Thieves
A.F.I.   End Transmission
A.F.I.   Too Shy to Scream
A.F.I. We've Got the Knife 
A.F.I.   Miss Murder
A.F.I.   Kiss And Control
A.F.I. This Time Imperfect (live)
A.F.I. Silver & Cold
A.F.I.   Girl's Not Grey
Amanda Palmer   Runs In the Family
Amanda Palmer   Leeds United
Amanda Palmer Guitar Hero
American Idiot Cast   Favorite Son
American Idiot Cast   21 Guns
American Idiot Cast   Letterbomb
American Idiot   Boulevard of Broken Dreams
American Idiot   Last of the American Girls
Bear McCreary/Outlander soundtrack   People Disappear All the Time
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson The Saddest Song (although this stays in if there weren't two #1 Crushes)
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson   Rock Star
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club   In Like The Rose
Blaqk Audio   Between Breaths (An XX Perspective)
Blaqk Audio   Again, Again And Again
Bush   Glycerine
Dana Fuchs   Helter Skelter
Dana Fuchs   Lonely for a Lifetime
David Bowie   Suffragette City
Dropkick Murphys   The State Of Massachusetts
Elastica   S.O.F.T.
Elastica   Stutter
Fiona Apple   Criminal
Florence + the Machine   Shake it Out
Franz Ferdinand   Ulysses
Garbage   Androgyny (Lee Hermaphrodite Mix)
Garbage   Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go!)
Garbage   Bad Boyfriend
Garbage   Supervixen
Garbage   Only Happy When It Rains
Garbage Fix Me Now
Garbage Vow

Garbage   Stupid Girl
Garbage   Control
Garbage   #1 Crush I have no idea how, but I have two of these on the list now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Garbage   Temptation Waits
Garbage   I Think I'm Paranoid
Garbage   Push It
Garbage   Sleep Together
Garbage   You Look So Fine
Garbage   Lick The Pavement
Garbage   Witness to Your Love
Garbage   Queer
Green Day   Holiday
Green Day   She's A Rebel
Green Day   Whatsername
Green Day Basket Case
Green Day   She
Green Day   Blood, Sex And Booze
Green Day 21st Century Breakdown
Green Day   Know Your Enemy
Green Day 21 Guns
Green Day Hitchin' a Ride
Hamilton Cast   Wait For It
Handmaiden Soundtrack   My Tamako, My Sookee
Hozier   Take Me to Church
iiO   Rapture [Radio Edit]
Janelle Monae   Cold War
Jefferson Airplane   Somebody To Love
Kaiser Chiefs  Everyday I Love You Less And Less
Kaiser Chiefs   I Predict A Riot
Kaiser Chiefs   Never Miss A Beat
The Killers   Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine
Lady Gaga   Heavy Metal Lover
Lady Gaga   Bad Romance
Lady Gaga  Teeth
Lady Gaga Ft. Beyoncé   Telephone
Ladytron   Destroy Everything You Touch
Lana Del Rey   Off To The Races
Lana Del Rey   Ride
Last of the Mohicans   The Kiss
Last of the Mohicans   I Will Find You
Last of the Mohicans   Promentory
Marilyn Manson   (s)AINT
Metallica   Nothing Else Matters
Metric   Satellite Mind
Metric   Gold Guns Girls
Mika   Kick-Ass
Ms Mr   Dark Doo Wop
Muse   Time Is Running Out
Muse   Hysteria
Muse   Starlight
Muse   In Your World
Muse   Plug In Baby
Muse   Resistance
Muse   Undisclosed Desires
Orville Peck   Let Me Drown
Poe   Hey Pretty
Poe   Wild
Queens Of The Stone Age   Go With The Flow
Queens Of The Stone Age   Little Sister
Red Hot Chili Peppers Midnight
RENT Cast   Out Tonight
RENT Cast   Another Day
Republica   Ready To Go (U.S. Mix)
Rihanna   Disturbia
Rihanna   Only Girl (In The World)
She Wants Revenge    These Things
Shearwater   Quiet Americans (I also have a second one of these that is not yet in the top 100...)
Stoker Soundtrack   Duet
Tiësto Ft. Tegan and Sara   Feel It In My Bones
Tori Amos   Spark
Tori Amos   Bliss
Tori Amos   Strange Little Girl
Tori Amos   Sugar
Yeah Yeah Yeahs   Zero

No comments: