Wednesday, December 26, 2018

2018 mixes


Past mixes: 200820092010201120122013201420152016, 2017

So much music this year! So much to enjoy! I was quite obviously obsessed with Dirty Computer, High as Hope, Be the Cowboy, and The Kids are Alright. Outside Lands was great, and well represented here. I only just got the two Blindspotting albums and the Spider-verse soundtrack, so look for those next year...



Disc 1
1. Crazy, Classic, Life - Janelle Monae. 


2. Washing Machine Heart - Mitski



3. South London Forever - Florence + The Machine



4. Miracle - Chvrches (I saw them at OL this year, and they were surprisingly excellent live)



5. This is America - Childish Gambino. Obviously the video of the year:



6. Lemon - N.E.R.D. & Rihanna. I think I heard this at the end of last year, but I only got it in February. They were also at OL, and with this dancer, who is so incredible:



7. Majesty - Nicki Minaj ft. Eminem



8. Worship - Lizzo. Lizzo was easily the discovery of OL for me this year. She put on an incredible show.



9. Pressure - Muse



10. You Should See Me in a Crown - Billie Eilish



11. The Kids Are Alright - Chloe x Halle



12. Patricia - Florence + The Machine



13. Geyser - Mitski



14. The Draw - Bastille. Not sure how I missed this years ago, but I like it:



15. Screwed - Janelle Monae ft. Zoe Kravitz. (Below is the audio, but this is the segment of the film with Screwed in it - not available as a separate video that I could see: https://youtu.be/jdH2Sy-BlNE?t=894)



16. Burn It Down - Fitz and the Tantrums. Another one I missed:



17. Hunger - Florence + The Machine



18. Dirty Water - Foo Fighters



19. Would You Fight for My Love - Jack White. Continuing to play catchup



20. Fairytale of New York - The Pogues. My favorite holiday song! I got to go up on stage to sing it with Taylor Mac this year, which was lots of fun. (A good tip I heard recently, replace *that line* with "You've taped over Taggart!")






Disc 2. 
1. Django Jane - Janelle Monae


2. Hi Lo - Chloe x Halle


3. Ganja Burn - Nicki Minaj



4. Nothing Burns Like the Cold - Snoh Aalegra ft. Vince Staples. Was this an Apple commercial? Yes. But, you know. Portishead sample. 


5. Put Jewels On It - Statik Selektah ft. Run the Jewels


6. Monster - Eminem. I don't know how I had never heard this before this year, but here we are. 



7. Garage Palace - Gorillaz. I was not a huge fan of the new album, but I like this one. 



8. Wololo - Babes Wodumo ft. Mampintsha. Babes was featured on the Black Panther soundtrack, which led me to this. South Africa!



9. Real Bad Gal - Vybz Kartel (Hey! Video!)



10. All The Stars - Kendrick Lamar & SZA. Speaking of the Black Panther soundtrack...



11. Get Up 10 - Cardi B


12. Chun-Li - Nicki Minaj



13. Apeshit - The Carters



14. Everywhere - Chloe x Halle


15. Truth Hurts - Lizzo



16. LMK - Kelela. She also popped up at OL and kicked off her set with this. 



17. I Like That - Janelle Monae



18. He's a Rebel - Alana Da Fonseca. So. Who saw Bad Times at the El Royale?


19. Bernadette - The Four Tops. It was great! Wonderful soundtrack. 


20. Bend Me Shape Me - American Breed. I mean, of course I love the precursor to my favorite song. 


21. Twelve Thirty - The Mamas & The Papas. Plus it had a totally fabulous cast. I recommend checking it out!


22. White Room - Noah Hawley & Jeff Russo. So season 2 of Legion went a bit off the rails, but the episode where David tries to rescue Syd was a standout, peaking in the scene with this cover. "Baby, God loves the sinners best 'cause our fire burns bright, bright, bright. Burn with me."


Disc 3

1. Deadly Valentine - Charlotte Gainsbourg


2. Fast Slow Disco - St. Vincent



3.  Clearest Blue - Chvrches



4. Missing U - Robyn


5. Make Me Feel - Janelle Monae. Runner up for video of the year. (Or maybe pynk is...)



6. Dance and Cry - Mother Mother


7. Don't Take the Money - Bleachers


8. I Love You, I Don't Love You, I Don't Know - Lisa LeBlanc


9. Saturdays - Twin Shadow ft. HAIM



10. What About Us - Pink



11. Wolves - Mashmello ft. Selena Gomez. Ah yes, the part of the mixes where we get into 'hey! I actually like something by this tween popstar. Who knew?!' (Also - video! Who knew.)



12. Criminals (MAIZE Remix) - MS MR. Hey! A remix of one of my favorite songs. 


13. Down - Chloe x Halle


14. No Tears Left to Cry - Ariana Grande. Continuing the "who knew?" theme.  



15. Level Up - Ciara. What. It's a good song for working out! Also those dancers are great.



16. Get Out - Chvrches


17. This is the Time - Unloved. So. Who saw Killing Eve this year?!


18. Passionfruit - Yaeji


19. Pays Imaginaire - Polo & Pan


20. I Could Tell You, But I'd Have To Kill - Unloved. Killing Eve is so great. 


21. Siren - Kailee Morgue. Saw her at OL, and liked this song best in her set (it might be the line "No I was never one for pretty weather.") 


22. Bellyache - Billie Eilish



Disc 4


1. Criminal - Kat Robichaud. I love this so much. I think it's the best thing she's done:



2. Strip Away My Conscience - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I love that when they finally did a big Fosse number, they skated their best lyric past the network censors. Sigh. I'm going to miss this show. 



3. Killer Shangri-Lah - Pshycotic Beats. You should watch Killing Eve.


4. Omar Sharif - The Band's Visit. Here, watch Katrina Lenk win a Tony:



5. Big God - Florence + The Machine. I love the video, too:



6. Caught Out in the Rain - Beth Hart


7. Please - Hôy la



8. Mariners Apartment Complex - Lana Del Rey



9. Slow Burn - Kacey Musgraves


10. Road to Nowhere ft. Rachel Keller - Noah Hawley. I hope Legion does right by Syd in S3. 


11. Miki Dora - Amen Dunes. They ended up being at OL this year, too. 



12. Ben Franklin's Song - The Decemberists. I'm going to miss the Hamildrops. 


13. That Man - Caro Emerald. One of the best things about the Olympics this go round was the figure skaters finally getting lyrics! SO MUCH MOULIN ROUGE (some of that may have been nationals, as well). Some pairs team skated to this song, and I enjoyed it so much, I looked it up. 



Oh look - it must have been the Germans: 



Speaking of the Olympics:



And hey! Speaking of Moulin Rouge: 



Ahem. Back to the playlist:


14. Nobody - Mitski



15. Boy - Willow Smith. Wrapping up the trilogy. Who'da thunk.


16. Something Human - Muse



17. Believe - Amen Dunes



18. Shallow - Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper. (Is it just me or is the song better in the trailer/video? I can't tell if its a slightly different mix in the film, or just hits better with editing.)



19. Space Cowboy - Kacey Musgraves (hey! video!)



20. Night So Long (Live at the Greek) - HAIM. Filmed by Paul Thomas Anderson. 



21. Americans - Janelle Monae. Just the song, no video, but embedded below to close things out properly. (Here are the credits to the film, which is when it plays: https://youtu.be/jdH2Sy-BlNE?t=2663) 


No comments: