Monday, September 27, 2010

Anatomy of a 2am Browser History

I'm not sure how it is my brain ceases thinking past midnight and yet continues to function. For some reason, 1am seemed like a reasonable time to try to educate myself on classical composers.

Basically, instead of turning off the laptop and going to bed, like a sane person, I did this:

Pearls Before Swine

Here's what happened - and no, I do not know why my brain made some of these leaps in the wee hours of the morning.

So, I was listening to Toccata and Fugue in D minor, because I had been looking up horror films on netflix, so I put on my halloween mix.
Which led to me looking up Bach.
Which led to me looking up who qualified as a Baroque composer.
Which led to me looking up Baroque art.
Which led to me looking up Gothic composers, as a comparison.
Which led to me looking up Commedia dell'arte.
Which led to me looking up the Agatha Christie which revolves around Commedia dell'arte (it's Harlequin's Lane in the Mysterious Mr. Quin.)
Which led to me looking up Stravinsky.
Which led to me looking up Tchaikovsky and then the 1812 Overture.
Which led to me looking up and deciding that I prefer Russian composers, on the whole, to French ones.
Which led me to looking up the history of Night on Bald Mountain, because I can never remember if it is Mussorgsky or Rimsky-Korsakov that wrote it.
Which led to looking up Silly Symphonies.
Which led to the Old Mill.
Which led to old Betty Boop cartoons.

At which point I looked up, it was 2am and I realized that I am a moron.

No comments: