A lot of songs that I immediately think of from movies are more properly from soundtracks. Not songs written for a film. Then again, I don't actually know that Born to Be Wild was written for Easy Rider. I'm assuming it was, because Paul Williams listed it. Anyhoo - I'm going to TRY to avoid those. But no promises. Some songs are just so ingrained with a particular film moment or otherwise so iconic, that they deserve mention.
I had such a hard time picking, I'm going to break it up. First up - songs from films that aren't musicals.
Immigrant Song - Karen O & Trent Reznor, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (okay, it wasn't originally written for a film, but this version was created for the film and the title sequence is awesome.)
California Earthquake - Mama Cass, Beautiful Thing.
Marcy's Song - John Hawkes, Martha Marcy Mae Marlene.
We Don't Need Another Hero - Tina Turner, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
Take My Breath Away - Berlin, Top Gun.
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Life of Brian.
A Real Hero - College, Drive.
Lose Yourself - Eminem, 8 Mile.
Kiss from a Rose - Seal, Batman Forever.
Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangsta - Geto Boys, Office Space.
Don't Let Me Be Understood - Santa Esmeralda, Kill Bill Vol. 1.
The Breakup Song - Greg Kihn Band, Let Me In. (The inclusion of this song was the best thing about the remake.)
You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones, The Big Chill.
Footloose - Kenny Loggins.
That Thing You Do.
20. Indian Love Call - Slim Whitman, Mars Attacks.
19. When Doves Cry - Prince, Romeo & Juliet (it was originally in another film!)
18. Uninvited - Alanis Morissette, City of Angels.
17. Shout - Otis Day & The Knights, Animal House.
16. Sugarhigh - Coyote Shivers, Empire Records. What's with today, today?
15. Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio, Dangerous Minds.
14. Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon - Urge Overkill, Pulp Fiction.
13. Tequila - The Champs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.
12. I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston, The Bodyguard.
11. Born to be Wild - Steppenwolf, Easy Rider.
10. The World is Not Enough - Garbage. The best Bond song ever. YEAH, I SAID IT. (Goldeneye and Goldfinger get honorable mentions.)
9. Where is My Mind - The Pixies, Fight Club.
8. Down in the River to Pray - O Brother Where Art Thou
7. Mad World - Gary Jules, Donnie Darko
6. Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkle, The Graduate.
5. Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds, The Breakfast Club.
4. Jai Ho - Slumdog Millionaire. O... Saya is fabulous, but the big dance number at the end so sums up the triumphant feel of the film.
3. Hip to Be Square - Huey Lewis & The News, American Psycho.
2. Tiny Dancer - Elton John, Almost Famous.
1. Sinnerman - Nina Simone, Thomas Crown Affair