Wednesday, January 17, 2024

2023 Mixes

Better late than never?

Past mixes: 20082009201020112012201320142015201620172018201920202021, 2022

Since I was behind on putting these together, I didn't take a ton of time on perfecting them. C'est la vie. 

Disc 1
1. Blame Brett - The Beaches. Love this album.
2. Dilemma - Green Day. Hey! Best new Green Day song in ages. 
3. Los Ageless - St. Vincent. I don't know how I missed this one before. 
4. Am I Dreaming - A$AP Rocky, Roisee, Metro Boomin. I'm personally rooting for this for best song. (Well - or maybe Sharon Van Etten, since I love her? But I only just heard her Past Lives song. Maybe one for next year's mixes)
5. Black Cloud - POSTDATA. My most listened to song this year? I dig the Girl Walk video. 

7. American Teenager - Ethel Cain. I listened to SO MUCH Ethel Cain this year. Let's kick it off with her most accessible song
9. Teenage Kicks - The Undertones. I don't remember why this came back on my radar in August. Buzzcocks?
10. Obstacle 1 - Interpol. Okay - a real throw back, but I saw them live for the first time this year and it was GREAT.

14. $20 - boygenius. I didn't LOVE the record the way I had hoped to, but I liked a couple of the songs.
17. Paint the Town Red - Doja Cat

22. The Next Episode ft. Snoop Dogg - Dr. Dre. This one was definitely buzzcocks.

Disc 2 - Yet again, the ladies are pissed
1. Vampire - Olivia Rodrigo. I mean. What a thrilling single to kick off her new album. 

6. labour - Paris Paloma. My third most-listened to song this year. 
11. I Could Be - Kyla La Grange. Vampire Smile made the playlist back in 2016, and I thought I should look up some of her other work this year. Nothing I like quite as much as that one, but I did end up with quite a few good ones. 
13. Flagpole Sitta - MS MR. I loved MS MR so much! (see here) They've basically been on hiatus since their second album, but they came back this year with one final song (below) and this cover, which is so great. 
14. Mountain (2023 remaster) - Tori Amos. I'll have more to say about seeing Tori live again after an extended hiatus below, but I love that there's some new(ish) music this year as well. 
21. Good Day - The Dresden Dolls. I saw the Dresden Dolls for New Years and it was FANTASTIC. It was everything I needed and so cathartic. They opened with this, which was one I never listened to much but I'm listening to it a bunch these last two weeks. 
24. Troy - Jessie Buckley & the RTÉ Orchestra. The first of two Sinéad tributes on here. I know there are a few more I haven't gotten to. But I'm obsessed with this performance

Disc 3 - the eclectic stuff.
8. Light House - Future Islands Again - not sure where this came from. Titane? (Titane didn't do it for me, although I appreciated the use of The Kills to open, as I've said before.)
10. Lost Coastlines - Okkervil River. The bit where Jonathan Meiburg comes in at :45? Perfection.
15. Damage Gets Done - Hozier ft. Brandi Carlile. Who weirdly sounds like Pink in parts of this?

Disc 4 - the dancy/pop stuff.
4. Music Sessions 53 - Bzrp ft. Shakira

8. Rush - Troye Sivan He's gay famous!

Disc 5 - the softer stuff.
3. I Need More - Hayley Bennett. This was the best bit in an otherwise pretty mediocre movie (Peter Dinklage deserved better!)
7. I Am Stretched On Your Grave/Three Babies - Tori Amos. Seeing Tori the night Sinéad died was otherwordly. 
8. Bug Like an Angel - Mitski

11. Woodstock (ACL 2022) - Brandi Carlile. She did this for her live concert and this was the best version I found
14. Seduction - Rene Aubry. I'm assuming I heard this as a sountrack somewhere, possibly I'm Your Man?
15. All I've Ever Known - Hadestown. Still listening to it!
19. Let No Man Steal Your Time - Anne Briggs. One of the best things I saw last year was Alias Grace. 
20. Lucky (Radiohead cover) - Jonathan Meiburg. Well - this one's on his patreon. 
21. This Road (the Dark Chamber) - Poe NEW POE NEW POE NEW POE. (There's a long version, too)
22. A House in Nebraska - Ethel Cain. I would normally have ended on the long new Poe, but given how much Ethel Cain I listened to this year, this felt like the right ending. 


No comments: